Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Recovery With Humor

My family is well-known for our sense of humor, even in the most horrible of situations.  For example, while we were all in Iowa for my sister's funeral, we all spent time together, and as per usual, humor was very much present.
One of the other more interesting traits in our family is the inability to hear things as they are actually said, as well as butchering the English language and totally misquoting sayings.  While we were gathered together during a "planning meeting" (in our family, that means that we are all together in one location, but as we are all more than a little ADD, we never stay on topic and therefore take forever to plan anything) for a family memorial for my sister, my oldest sister was reading something on her I-Pad and had her reading glasses perched on the end of her nose.  Now, I cannot remember exactly who said this, but it was pointed out that Tina (my oldest sister) had her glasses in a geriatric position.  My nephew, Adam, totally misheard what was said and asked Tina why she had a geriatric pillow and what kind of position it was in.  As is usual in my family, this phrase spiraled out of control to the point where Adam asked Tina if her geriatric pillow was in a sexual or otherwise position.  Of course, uncontrollable laughter ensued, and some of us (okay, me) were laughing so hard that we a) could not breathe, and b) may or may not have needed a Poise pad. This became a running joke during the entire trip.
A little later that evening, the topic of the hotel that my two older sisters were staying at in Ottumwa was rumored to be haunted.  This fact was verified via some website (it was on my sister, Alisa's phone, so I have no idea what the site was).  Prior to gaining this knowledge, my nephew, Adam, had wrapped a shirt (or a towel; I don't really remember which) around his head and my sister, Tina took a picture of it.  She forgot that she had taken the picture and had not posted to Facebook when it was verified that the Hotel Ottumwa was indeed haunted.  At this time, Tina posted, "Great.  I just found out that my hotel is haunted."  Little did she know at the time that this was inadvertently posted as a caption to the picture she had taken of Adam.  Since he had something wrapped around his head, it made the post even more hilarious.  More uncontrollable laughter erupted, and again, there was the distinct possibility of a Poise moment occurring.
During the discussion on the haunted motel, my sister, Alisa, wanted to know some more information in regards to the motel (this actually may have taken place prior to verifying the info).  She said (and with modified jazz hands, mind you), "Curiosity struck the cat....."  That did it for the rest of the family.  We were practically rolling on the floor at that little gem.  Oh, to go back to an earlier part of the trip, my sister, Teresa, bragged to my sister, Alisa, that we were going to beat her to Des Moines since our flight left earlier than Alisa's.  When we got stranded in Denver because the douche-nozzles that flew our connecting flight were buttheads and didn't hold the plane for us (by the way, I would STILL like to bite them), Teresa had to admit she was wrong about us arriving first.  She called Alisa and said, "I am going to have to eat pie and admit I was wrong."  Tina and I completely lost it because she meant to say that she was going to have to eat crow and admit she was wrong.  Ahhhhh, I love how our family completely destroys sayings.  They always come out so funny!
Since our return flight to Boise via Denver left Wednesday morning at 6:30 am (a very ungodly hour for me, mind you....much coffee was ingested during the flight), we stayed overnight in Des Moines so we could arrive at the airport in good time.  When we got to Des Moines, we were all ravenous and decided to stop at Perkins for dinner.  By this time, all of us were so exhausted, physically and mentally, we were more than a little punchy.  We entertained ourselves by taking selfies with Tina's and Teresa's phones.  Teresa got a selfie with half of my head in it, since I felt it was my duty to photobomb her.  This was a really cool pic, because Teresa was making boobly eyes and I don't remember what I was doing, other than trying to block Teresa's face with my fat head.  Tina, however, took the cake with her selfie.  I don't know if it was the angle of the phone or what, but her head looked a little like a big gumdrop; narrow at the top and broad at the bottom.  And her facial expression.....oh my, it was hilarious.  I seriously cannot even describe it.  All I know is that when I saw the picture, I almost shot Diet Coke out of my nose. Again, we dissolved into gales of laughter, and the other patrons looked at us as if we were insane.  Maybe we are, just a little bit, but hey, we know how to amuse ourselves!
I am so grateful that my family possesses an insatiable sense of humor. It has gotten us through some pretty awful times. Sometimes, we just need a little laughter to make life more bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment