Monday, April 14, 2014

Family

I a m a person that is VERY protective of my family......all of them.  I am particularly protective of my kids and my younger sisters, though I don't think that they realize this.  This has always been the case.  Whenever anyone hurts them or treats them wrong, I automatically go into protective mode and want to maim the perpetrator.  I obviously refrain from doing so, for these people are not worth getting arrested for. So, I have to step back and allow them to sort things out on their own.  My younger sisters are all adults, but this does not, in any way, minimize my protective instincts.  Sometimes, I still think of them as little ones, possibly because they are all considerably younger than I am.  As far as my kids go, I have always been protective of them. You mess with my babies (hahaha......all but two of my children are adults, and the youngest two are on the brink of adulthood) and you will rue the day.  To quote Philip Seymour Hoffman in "Twister", imminent rue-age.  Again, as with my sisters, I have to step back and let them sort things out on their own.  I don't want to be considered a "helicopter mom" (aka a hoverer), but truthfully, I kind of am.  It's tough to see people you love with all your heart suffering.
Speaking of my kids, my 22 year old son is experiencing some acute loneliness because his wife is on tour with the orchestra she is a part of.  I love that he loves her so much!  I would kill to have some sweet guy (like my son) love me that much. Anyway, they are just the cutest, sweetest married couple I know because their love for each other transcends just physical love.  It's so strong and spiritual!  It makes me so happy to see them together.  They are truly perfect for each other.  My son, being my offspring, has my sense of humor and talent for randomness, and his wife complements that personality perfectly.  She, too, has a great sense of humor, so I imagine that their marriage is fun as well as loving.
When I get on Facebook and see that one of my sisters is having a poopyhead day, I just want to have a magic wand I can wave and automatically make things better for them.  I really admire all of them; they have all had a lot of adversity in their lives, and every one of them has overcome or is presently overcoming them.  They could have easily ended up in a much worse lifestyle, but they have all proved everyone who has ever told them that they would never succeed at anything because they were teen mommies totally wrong.  I could not be more proud of them.  Though some of us have a difference in opinions on things and we don't always see eye to eye, I still love them all so much that it hurts sometimes. They may not realize this, but if they read this blog, they'll know.
Enough of the mushy stuff.......I am over and out for now.  I will leave you with a quote from Alan Arkin in the movie, "America's Sweethearts": life is a cookie.  What that means, I haven't the slightest idea, but it's a funny quote, so, to inject the usual humor into my blog post, I found it useful.
To be continued tomorrow...................

2 comments:

  1. she's actually on a jazz band tour... I loved the Twister quote, it's my favorite one from the movie next to Phillip Seymour Hoffman saying something about "the suck-zone"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the "suck zone" line, too. Actually, I love his character. By the way, I did not know that Lindsey was in jazz band, too. Either way, I know how much you miss her!

      Delete