Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Weiser Youth Symphony

I am going to shamelessly plug the Weiser Youth Symphony in this post.  My twins, Kyson and Kade, are members of the symphony (Kyson on trumpet and Kade on bass trombone).  The symphony is mainly comprised of the talented youth of Weiser and the surrounding areas, but there are many adults in this group, as well.  I have attended both of the concerts that they have had this year, plus a rehearsal last night, and I have to say that I am completely in awe at the sheer talent and professionalism of this group.  When I arrived, they were working on a piece that they had just received last night and were doing their first run through of the piece.  For a initial run through, they did amazingly well, and they worked quite hard at fine tuning dynamics, etc.  All the other pieces were given out last week, so it was a second rehearsal for those.
I am proud to have kids participating in this wonderful group.  These people work hard at rehearsals, and their hard work really pays off.  I think that this is only the second year of the symphony being in existence, and it keeps on growing.  More and more people are attending the concerts and getting the word out there that this group of extremely talented musicians exists and is always looking for new members.  I saw several new faces last night.  If you know of anyone in the Weiser area that has 3+ years experience on an instrument (cello, violin, viola, percussion, brass, woodwinds), have them look in to joining the symphony.  As I have said before, this is a really talented group of people, and Weiser is very lucky to have such a group representing it as a town.
Speaking of talent in Weiser, I have noticed in my nearly 30 years of living here (off and on) that our town possesses a large number of musically talented individuals.  Our choirs consistently receive Superior ratings at festival, and we always have a significant representation at the state solo level (this year, my son, Kade, is one of the few who is competing in the small school level at state).  When I attended high school, we always had at least three people attending Idaho All-State Choir and Band, as well as All-Northwest Choirs, Band, and Orchestra (I attended Idaho All-State as a sophomore and a senior, and All-Northwest as a junior as a choir member, and I competed in the state solo competition  as a senior).  Our bands also consistently receive Excellent and Superior ratings at festival, and we always make a great showing at marching band competitions.  It is awesome to live in a town where the fine arts are hailed as being important, and are well-publicized.
Well, enough of my regaling my community. I will wrap this posting up for now.  If you live in the Weiser area, please be sure to take the time to attend one of the symphony's concerts.  The next concert is on June 3 at the Snake River Heritage Center in Weiser.  I would encourage all who are interested in hearing a highly talented group perform to attend this concert.  This is their "pops" concert, and many of the pieces being played are well-known to many.
Until tomorrow...........

No comments:

Post a Comment