Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Mornings

For those of you who REALLY know me know that I am not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination.  However, after 42 years of life, my mother still has not figured this out.  I am one of these people who is barely awake and silent until I have partaken of my initial cup of coffee. Then, and only then, can people carry on an intelligent conversation with me (prior to this, I only respond with monosyllabic noises) where I can actually form words.  Mom tries to tell me things of importance BEFORE the cup of coffee, and I admit that I only half hear it.  I don't even process what she is saying. One would think that knowing my morning personality, she would not attempt to communicate with me until I have had at least one cup of coffee ( and even then, it's very chancy).  Generally, I don't even respond verbally, but rather with "the look"; you know, the one that can make the most strong individual wither under the baleful nature of said look.  Mom doesn't even blink an eye when receiving "the look" ( I reckon since she's my mom, she has pretty much been able to everything I can dole out).
I have a few members of my immediate family who are morning people and first thing in the morning, I despise them for their peppiness. Again, "the look" is utilized, and again, it is ignored.  Depending on who I am with at the time depends on how quick I can access coffee so that I'm not such a turd.  I think the funniest story involving this very thing occurred in 2002, when I was visiting my dad and stepmom (I lived in Iowa at the time) for their 25th wedding anniversary. I stayed at their house, along with my sister, Teresa, and her family.  My oldest sister, Tina, stayed with her in-laws, but still came over every morning.  Anyway, there was one morning where I shuffled into the kitchen, eyes half open, hair pointing in a northeasterly direction, still clad in jammies and slippers.  I was completely nonverbal.  My stepmom sensed the urgency for coffee and plunked down a large mug of delicious dark roast coffee.  I inhaled the delightful aroma and was instantly pleased.  Anyway, my sister, Teresa, is such a morning person.  She pops out of bed like a Pop Tart, all bright eyed and bushy tailed.  On this day, she was all dressed, had her hair nicely done and had makeup on.  Tina and I, however,were bleary and in dire need of caffeinated sustenance.  Tina, too, was dressed  with hair done and makeup on, but I assure you, she was no more awake than I was.  We both gave Teresa withering looks when she chirped her " Good morning" to us.  Anyway, I did eventually wake up and the day proceeded without any bloodshed.
As far as I am aware, not one of my kids is a morning person (Brody might be, but I can't remember).  None of them are coffee drinkers, so they wake up in their own way, usually by remaining silent until the waking process completes.
Well now that I am somewhat coherent, I will end this missive for today.  Before I go, I will leave you with this thought: take time to stop and enjoy life.  Life is too short to be serious all the time.
Until tomorrow............

No comments:

Post a Comment