Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Music Soothes the Savage Beast Within

Last night was the Weiser Youth Symphony concert.  I love attending these concerts because I can sit there and let the beautiful notes from the music wash over me and calm me.
Music has been a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember.  I started singing in front of audiences when I was about 6 or 7 years old; my first solo was "Silent Night", which, when sung without front teeth, comes out as "Thilent Night".  I was dressed as an angel; wings, halo, and all.  My best friend, Johannah, accompanied me on the autoharp.  Though I don't really remember if I sounded good or not, I am sure I was quite the adorable little angel with my halo slipping off my head and my wings on diagonally.
I continued singing through grade school (every chance I got), junior high, and high school.  High school was the times of my absolute BEST performances and accomplishments:  I attended Idaho All-State Choir as a first soprano my sophomore and senior years, attended All-Northwest Mixed Choir as a second soprano during my junior year, and went to State my senior for solo competition. In addition to that, I also had supporting roles in the musicals, "The Music Man" (I was Mrs. Paroo, Marian's mother) and "The King and I" (I was Lady Thiang, the king's number one wife....take that, lower-level concubines!).  I still sing from time to time, but seldom in front of an audience (or congregation).  I would like to change that.  When I sing, I lose myself in the words of the song, and, if this makes sense, the song becomes a part of me.  It takes me to a happier place than the cold, heartless world in which we reside.  Heaven knows I need to be in a happy place more often.
Every one of my five children has some musical talent, whether it be instrumental or vocal.  My oldest child, Bryan, plays bass, acoustic guitar, some piano, and played alto sax in band when he was in high school.  My second son, Brody, plays tuba and baritone, and whether he admits this or not, he DOES have a nice bass voice. His wife, Lindsey, is an accomplished trombone player and has a beautiful voice.  I want to say she's a soprano, but I can't remember.  My only daughter, Brylie, plays flute and tenor sax beautifully.  My twins, Kyson and Kade, are also instrumentalists; Kyson plays trumpet and is learning to play French horn and piano (he also sings and has a lovely baritone voice), whereas Kade plays tuba, baritone, and bass trombone, as well as learning piano, and he sings......I melt when he sings. He is technically a baritone, but this year, he is singing 2nd tenor, a change from singing bass the past two years.  Since the twins are the only ones left at home out of all my kids, we often sing together, and let me tell you, that is a truly awesome experience.  Our voices blend so seamlessly; it's like we have musical mental telepathy, for we know what the other is thinking when we sing together.  We sang together this past Sunday, and I got chills from the rich, beautiful sound of what we were singing.
I hope that whoever reads this does not get the impression that I am a braggart in any way, shape, or form;  that is not my intention, but rather, it is an explanation of an integral part of my life.  Music is an escape and a blessing for me.  It soothes me when I am hurting or having one of my "bad days".  Music motivates me when I need a little nudge in the right direction, and it gets me moving.  Music can invoke powerful memories, both pleasant and sad.  Music is an integral part of my soul.  I think that John Denver put it best:  "Music makes pictures and often tells stories; all of them magic, all of them true.  All of the pictures and all of the stories, all of the magic; music is you!".
And on that note (hahaha...get it?  Note?  And the theme of my blog today was music?), I will sign off for another day.  I pray that all of my readers can enjoy the music in their lives and let it inspire and motivate them. Music is a true blessing from God......use it!!!!
Until next time.............

No comments:

Post a Comment